This video looks at the battlefields of the Coastal column during the British invasion of Zululand. Nyezane, Eshowe and Gingindlovu are little-known battles but fascinating and well worth a visit.
The film includes:
- The ultimatum tree. The place where the Zulus were given a series of impossible demands by the British.
- Fort Pearson, a defensive position over-looking the Tugela (Uthukela) river.
- A discussion of the coastal column order of of battle.
- A walk through the battlefield of Nyezane.
- Eshowe, where the British force was besieged. There is still a graveyard and remains of the old defensive works.
- The battlefield of Gingindlovu.